I’m a 59 year old grey haired gig goer. I get to a lot of gigs and festivals in a variety of places. The last five years or so it’s cranked up a notch with the help of a similarly (even more gigaholic) enthusiastic mate and my gig-loving wife.
I seem to be on one massive tour and keep squeezing in the music where I can.
I thought I could leave a blog trail as I go on my gigaholic wanderings – the bands – my photos – the venues – the festivals – bits on travel and parking – the odd handy pub and all that stuff.
All photos are my own unless I mention otherwise. I use a Panasonic compact pocket-sized zoom mostly, a TZ60. Unobtrusive and only ocasionally not permitted, and that’s where there is a no phones or cameras rule which I always abide by. I occasionally take a better Nikon bridge camera to outdoor gigs, especially festivals so the pics there are best quality. Then there are gigs when I forget my camera, run out of battery etc 🙄
My mobile phone camera is pretty bang average, on an older Samsung A6, but I do take an occasional video clip if it isn’t going to get in anyone’s way – I like a pillar or a wall behind me. In Spring 2022 I started putting these on a YouTube channel. It saves memory on the WordPress account if nothing else but is getting hundreds of views in its own right, occasionally over a thousand. Link to my Grey-Haired Gig Goer channel.
The Covid pandemic hit activities hard but through my blogs you can see the various attempts to keep gig-fit and measures brought in during this awful period in our history.
- W.A.S.P. – live in BristolShock-rockers W.A.S.P. are in Bristol for what must be the last time. An inquisitve grey-haired gig goer takes a peek.
- Morrissey – live in LondonMorrissey pops into London to start his 2023 tour.
- The Lathums – live at The London RoundhouseA trip to London to one of my favourite venues to see one of the most outstanding bands of recent years.
- The Skids – live at The 100 ClubI catch up with The Skids and a few mates at the legendary 100 Club. One of two sell-out gigs.
- Slow Readers Club – live on board Thekla, BristolSomething of a maritime adventure with another Slow Readers Club gig, this time in the unusual surroundings of the good ship Thekla. Great support band tonight – you’ll be hearing about him.